Join CafeMom Today! Autism Amber Alert: Why is My Child Eloping and What Can I Do? | Autism Community
AMBER Alerts are distributed via commercial radio stations, satellite radio, television stations, and cable TV by the Emergency Alert System and NOAA Weather Radio for child abductions only! Children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder are NOT included in the criteria for issuing an Amber Alert. This really needs to change.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Why is My Child Eloping and What Can I Do? | Autism Community

Why is My Child Eloping and What Can I Do? | Autism Community

As with any problem behavior, it is essential to first determine the function of the behavior. This is the WHY. There are two common reasons an individual with autism may elope (defined as the act of leaving an area without permission or notification which usually leads to placing that individual in a potentially dangerous situation): (1) to GET something or somewhere preferred, or (2) to ESCAPE something or somewhere non-preferred. Once you’ve determine why the individual is eloping, there are a few strategies which may be helpful.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ShareThis